Consider making 2016 the year to finally update your garage door. In the process, take your home’s curb appeal to the next level. Believe it or not, the look of your garage door has a huge impact on the exterior appeal of your property. Whether your current doors have fallen into disrepair, look outdated or aren’t as eye-catching as they could be, replacing them with a new, attractive style can dramatically change your home’s aesthetic. In fact, this one improvement could be the thing to take your home from ho-hum to amazing, especially to visitors when they drive up for the first time.
With that in mind, here’s a look at the top five styles to consider for 2016:
- The Sleek and Modern Look : In keeping with contemporary architectural styles, modern garage doors are popular today. Doors with horizontal banding to doors made of stained wood are some of the materials available. Consider skipping garage door handles altogether. Try using glass instead of steel doors to create a streamlined style with clean lines.
- Colored Doors: While old-school garage doors tended to be white, beige or brown, today’s doors can be painted in a wide range of color. Colors from blue to hunter green to deep red can make a house punch. Colored doors can make it easier than ever to create a custom look. You can also stain or paint wood doors to the color of your choice.
- Arts and Crafts Style: Featuring raised panels or sections, garage doors in the arts and crafts style may have arched or divided-light windows at the top. These types of doors are designed to complement a home’s architecture and create a custom look.
- Eco-Friendly Features: As green building continues to be a hot area of home design, so too are energy-saving features like garage doors made of recycled materials or well-insulated garage doors that trap heat inside and keep out cold air. Because the garage usually represents the largest opening to your home, finding ways to make it more efficient can mean big cost savings for you over time.
- Custom–Designed Doors: When none of the out-of-the-box garage door designs fit the idea in your head, you can always create a custom style that is unique to your home. From doors that mimic your home’s style to doors that slide to the side inside of overhead, custom garage doors can truly highlight a home’s personalized feel. If you want a way to make your home’s unique style stand out, this option is a great one.
Choosing the right garage door style is a matter of preference. The right garage door for you will best complement your home. When you’re evaluating options, use the ideas above as inspiration. Then evaluate your home’s style and what type of garage door would suit it best. This is the start to moving toward a new, improved overall look. Changing garage doors to spruce up your home’s look this year is a great home remodel project.
Justin White is the marketing director for Garage Door Repair LLC, Justin is extremely resourceful with resolutions on common garage door problems.