John and Beth are here to share with you their tips and suggestions, as well as interviews with industry experts, with the goal of helping you become a smarter homeowner. Once we buy a home, we now ask ourselves the question… Now what? Today’s episode focuses on the value of maintaining your home, including home maintenance and all the different things that we as homeowners need to do to maintain our home. Tune in for advice on everything from preventative maintenance to standard maintenance, what we can save, and how to improve the value of your home!
IN THIS EPISODE:
● [02:00] Standard care of the house.
● [05:00] Health and safety, including smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.
● [10:00] Maintenance and the value of your home.
● [13:00] Increasing your replacement costs if you neglect small 30 minute tasks.
● [17:00] How to be reminded of tasks which need completing.
● [22:00] Should you be doing these tasks yourself or hire a contractor?
● [29:00] Start with the basics to figure out the typical maintenance things you need to do from a preventative standpoint.
● Keeping track of home maintenance will add value and save time.
● The difference between doing the tasks yourself or hiring a contractor.
● How to keep track of home tasks which need completing.
With age, people can have difficulty accomplishing ordinary tasks around the house. Aside from quality time with you, helping with tasks that have become challenging is one of the best gifts you can give.
Here are some ways you can help your parents around the house.:
1. Household maintenance
Fix broken pipes, leaky toilets, malfunctioning faucets, and other maintenance issues.
The plumbing that snakes its way through our homes is a bit more delicate than we would like to believe. Sometimes, even small amounts of damage or the passage of certain objects down the drain can cause a pipe to rupture. A burst pipe is one thing; it’s usually evident when you have one of those. But what about circumstances where there’s only a small leak? How do you tell if your pipes have sprung a leak somewhere? Keep an eye out for these signs that you have a hidden leaky pipe in your walls so that you can get to it quickly.
Unless you want to
spend your weekends hand-washing every single article of clothing you’ve worn,
you need to keep your washing machine in good working order. Unfortunately,
that’s more difficult than many people seem to think. Too many homeowners abuse
their washing machines with improper care, which results in wear and tear that
reduces the lifespan of the unit. If you want to save money, keep your clothes
cleaner and have a functional washing machine into the future, read on for all
the things you’re doing wrong to your washing machine.
You walk into the door, hang up your coat and/or purse, then plop down on the sofa to rest for a few minutes before getting dinner on the table.
But no sooner do you sit down when you hear a funny noise coming from the ceiling fan above your head. Looking up, you see the fan blades begin to slow down until the whole unit shakes and vibrates, before freezing in place. Read More