Home sales continue to occur throughout the year, regardless of the season.
This fall, if you’re thinking about selling your house while the days are getting shorter and the leaves are changing, there are some things you can do in order to get the most money for your house.
Understand the market
The price that you can get for your home and the time it takes for you to sell your home depends partly on the kind of market you are in.
For example, you may be limited on what you can get for your home if you’re in what’s considered a “buyer’s market”. When buyers have a lot of options they can be more particular and go for a newer home.
In reverse, if there are fewer homes for sale and a lot of buyers are searching, then you’re more likely to get the price you want for your home.
In a balanced market, the number of homes on the market is equal to the number of people looking to buy. Therefore, homes are sold for pretty much the same price as their market value.
Set the right price for your home
Whether you’re planning to use a realtor or selling your home on your own, it’s crucial to get the price right from the start.
Analyze the market you’re in and compare your home to similar ones that recently sold. Your realtor can provide you with this information, but there’s no reason why you cannot find out for yourself.
For example, websites like Redfin, Trulia or Zillow offer a lot of information that can help you decide whether to sell now or later.
Cleaning and decorating the house
If necessary, declutter your home and give it a thorough cleaning.
Get some help staging your home and sprucing it up if you can afford it.
Use tasteful decorations that appeal to a mass audience to decorate for fall holidays such as Halloween and Thanksgiving.
Don’t forget to take care of your home’s exterior.
Tasks that should be completed prior to listing include:
- ⬥ Clean out the gutters
- ⬥ Trim all trees, shrubs, and bushes
- ⬥ Weed garden beds
- ⬥ Rake fallen leaves
- ⬥ Clear away fallen limbs and sticks
- ⬥ Clear out any dead plants, lawn decor and/or lawn furniture
- ⬥ Get your HVAC system cleaned and inspected by an HVAC professional, and get your chimney swept out so that you don’t start a fire caused by animal nests and soot accumulation.
- ⬥ Add bright touches and curb appeal to your home by planting colorful, cold-hardy plants near the entryway. Keep the yard as tidy as you can, even if a few colorful leaves fall onto the lawn.
Engage the senses
Appeal to the senses of potential buyers so they fall in love with your home and make an offer.
- ⬥ Add more lighting to augment the natural light that shines through your windows.
- ⬥ Burn scented candles or make a pie, boil cinnamon sticks or make coffee.
- ⬥ Soft music can be played in the background. Usually holiday music is appropriate as well as classical or jazz music, or even nature sounds like a waterfall.
- ⬥ When making your selections, take into account the type of music your potential buyers might enjoy.
Finally, if you decide to list your home in the fall, provide potential buyers with a glimpse into how their new home might look during the different seasons.
Put together as many pictures as you can of your home throughout the year.
Printed photos can be placed together in a book or in a digital frame displayed in the entryway or kitchen counter.
For more tips on selling your home this fall, check these out.