Mold is a tricky organism that wreaks havoc in so many places in your home. Not only is it unsightly, but it can also cause structural damage and harm your health.
It’s not unusual to find mold growing in damp places, like behind your drywall or in your washing machines; however, there are several unexpected places mold can grow in your home that you might not be aware of.
Don’t let this health hazard infiltrate your living space. Inspect your home for any unanticipated mold growth to improve your home and well-being.
Chimneys can collect a ton of water, especially if you don’t have the proper hardware installed. If you don’t use a chimney cap, there’s a good chance you have mold in your fireplace.
Crevices in bricks often retain water, dirt, and debris. Since sunlight can’t penetrate thick fireplace materials, it creates the perfect breeding ground for harmful microorganisms. Make sure you clean your chimney and fireplace regularly and replace rusted components as soon as you notice spots developing.
Bathrooms are probably the dampest rooms in your home. While it’s common to find mold growing in your shower or under your sink, you might not think to check your toothbrush holder.
Ingesting mold via your toothbrush could be detrimental to your health. Avoid this problem by drying your toothbrush thoroughly before placing it back in its holder. You should also check underneath your soap dispenser and any other sink accessories, just in case.
Another unexpected place mold can grow in your home is on your private deck. This makes sense since rain damages your patio in various ways. While sealing products and composite materials make decks “water-resistant,” this doesn’t mean mold growth can’t occur.
Check your patio furniture and upholstery for any damp spots and dry them ASAP. It’s also helpful to cover vulnerable areas and accessories before storms hit to minimize any further development.
If you work from home, you likely have drawers and filing cabinets holding your important documents. This is an excellent way to stay organized but creates the ideal condition for mold to grow in your home office.
Paper is an organic material that mold loves to consume. With dark conditions and high humidity levels, it’s no wonder filing cabinets allow this pesky growth to thrive. Use a dehumidifier in your home office and clean your files regularly, checking for any spores as you go.
Mold is completely controllable if you know where to look. Stay on top of your cleaning routine so you can maintain a healthy home.